Background

The Firma Van Drie arts foundation was created in 2007 by a merger between the Kunstcentrum Burgvliet (dating from 1955) and the Regionale Kunststichting Gouda (which managed the City Gallery and was founded in 1987). At the same time, a permanent collaboration with Museum Gouda was set up.

 

In-depth background information on the merger partners can be found at the regional archives ("Midden-Holland" archives), which contains the most important public records, as well as the books Signatuur, Kunstcentrum Burgvliet Gouda from 1972 and Het Kunstcentrum, Alphen aan den Rijn, 1990.

The Roodbol Premises

The Roodbol Premises at Achter de Kerk 13, where the Firma Van Drie has its permanent Exhibition and Activities Centre, date from approximately 1800 and is built mainly from wood.

 

Until 2006, several generations of stonemasons of the Roodbol family worked at the premises’. Gouda inhabitants remember huge pieces and "slices" of natural stone, lying outside the workshop and by the church and the sound of stone chipping and sawing coming from the workshop.

 

Pand RoodbolIn earlier times, stonemasons also used to work near St. John’s Cathedral. For some time, the town sculptor Gregorius Cool (around 1570-1629) had two workshops there. Cool made the steps to the Gouda town hall in Renaissance style. He also made the Lazarus gate, which was originally the entrance to the house of the lepers at Rotterdamse Veer (currently called: Hoge Gouwe). This gate was re-erected in 1964-1965 at Achter de Kerk, to be used as the back entrance to Museum Gouda. It is right next to the Firma Van Drie premises.

 

Achter de Kerk 13 has a wooden Dutch gable, decorated with volutes. It is one of the very few wooden buildings in Gouda and has the status of a State monument.

© Firma van Drie 2011-2020 | webdesign: AzimDezign + double-R webdevelopment
facebook rss feed